Anti-Ragging Week, an annual event (inititative of U.G.C. and DCI) was organized at Babu Banarasi Das College of Dental Sciences, Lucknow (BBDCODS) from 11/08/2023 to 18/08/2023, to raise awareness about the harmful effects of ragging and to foster a safe and conducive learning environment for all students. Ragging, in any form, can have severe physical and psychological .consequences on the victims. Therefore, this initiative is taken seriously to ensure a positive campus experience for all students and staff members.
The main objectives of the Anti-Ragging Week were as follows:
- Raise awareness about the negative impacts of ragging on individuals’ mental and emotional well-being.
- Promote a culture of respect, inclusivity, and empathy among the students.
- Educate students about the legal consequences of ragging and the college’s zero-tolerance policy.
- Provide a platform for students to voice their concerns and suggestions to prevent ragging.
The Anti-Ragging Week included a series of engaging and informative activities that contribute to achieving the objectives. Some of the key activities organized during the week were:
- Commencement of the Week: The Anti-Ragging Week saw enthusiastic participation from students, faculty, and staff members. The engaging nature of the activities ensured active involvement and meaningful discussions. Student volunteers staged role-playing scenarios and skits depicting instances of ragging and its harmful effects. This method helped in creating a realistic understanding of the issue. The importance of the initiative and its objectives were highlighted during this event.
- Poster and Slogan Competitions: Students were encouraged to create posters and slogans that promote anti-ragging messages. The poster and slogan competition witnessed a high number of entries, demonstrating the students’ commitment to the cause.
- Interactive Discussions: Panel discussions and open forums were organized, allowing students to share their thoughts, concerns, and experiences related to ragging. This helps in fostering a sense of unity and empathy among the student community.
Culmination of the week: The week culminated with a concluding speech and presentation of Prof. Dr. Puneet Ahuja, and video show of Anti-Ragging videos (Courtesy U.G.C.) on Anti-Ragging. This was followed by prize distribution and oath-taking ceremony, where all students, faculty, and staff take an oath to uphold the principles of anti-ragging and to create a safe campus environment.
The Anti-Ragging Week in BBDCODS has yielded several positive outcomes:
- Increased awareness about the detrimental effects of ragging among the student body.
- A significant reduction in reported cases of ragging due to the fear of strict consequences.
- Improved rapport between students, faculty, and staff, leading to a harmonious campus atmosphere.
- Enhanced confidence among students to report any incidents of ragging without fear of reprisals.
- Strengthened implementation of the college’s anti-ragging policy, thereby ensuring a safe learning environment.